In this segment, I visit Cafe Del Rey in Marina Del Rey, California to prepare and try a fresh Tuna Nicoise salad!
- 1-1/2 lb. 1-inch-thick fresh tuna steaks
- 1/4 lb. haricots verts (thin green beans), trimmed
- 1/2 lb. small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into quarters
- 1/2 lb. cherry tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 lb. Julienne (thinly sliced) bell peppers
- 3 oz. of baby arugula, washed and spun dry (3-3/4 lightly packed cups)
- Olive tapenade (finely chopped olives, capers, anchovies and olive oil)
Bring 2 medium pots of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes to 1 pot and blanch until tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Drain in a colander, pat dry, and set aside. Add the green beans to the other pot and blanch until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain in a colander, pat dry, and set aside.
Arrange the tuna on a cutting board and cut into cubes. Place tuna into a mixing bowl and season with olive oil, chives and a pinch of salt.
Toss the potatoes, green beans and tomatoes in 1/4 cup of the olive tapenade. Spoon the vegetables onto the plate and arrange the diced tuna on the other side of the plate. Place arugula on top, squeeze lemon juice over entire dish and drizzle olive tapenade on top. Garnish with additional herbs if desired and serve immediately.
*If you do not care for raw tuna, you can squeeze lemon juice to cook the tuna or used canned tuna.
Yield: 4 entrée salads